Panels 3.2 tutorial guide
This post is obsolete now that an updated version of the ebook is available. Describing Panels 3 in detail.
Panels has done it. It's reached a stable version. The road was paved with many UI changes, but we've finally arrived!
I'm celebrating this with an update on how you can use the panels-tutorials from my ebook with the latest version. A sort of conversion guide if you will...
Many remains the same. You need to Panels package and Ctools. Enable what you need, most importantly panels, views panes and ctools.
Accessing the panel admin page
The new admin page is located at /admin/build/pages
Creating the panel
- For the profile panel: node/% is now an already predefined panel page. You don't need to create it. Just press enable next to 'node_view' on the page-admin page.
- For the welcome page: create a new page (bottom of the page-admin page).
Configuring the panel page
- Variant is the new name for the old context. Add a variant of the panel page for each content type you want to make a panel page for. For instance: profile. Add a feature: selection rule, this will allow us to define a content type for the panel. Click continue, continue... Go through the entire sequence of screens. You will see all the 'old' screens from the book appearing. Once the panel is created, you can access them all from the left menu.
- The left menu shows all of the items that used to be on the top menu.
- To add content to a panel pane. Click the little wheel on the top right of the pane whilst you are at the content section of your panel pane. Clicking the wheel will also allow you to change the style of the panel (rounded corners etc.).
Exept from some major layout differences, most things are actually back to normal with Panels 3.2. I just focused on some things that do differ, but by looking around at your screen, you will be able to find everything I talk about in the ebook.
- I had to re-add my contexts after I updated panels 2 to panels 3
- First install ctools if you plan on updating Panels 2->3
- I needed to re-add the views panel pane's to the content of the panel page for them to work after upgrading from Panels 2 -> 3